What is ATA and SongAhm Taekwondo?

SongAhm was started by the Eternal Grand Master H.U. Lee. SongAhm TaeKwon-Do is what the ATA formed out of, originally based out of the Chahng-hun style, but was modified to envelop other artistic opinions he held. The SongAhm style seemingly maintains respect for the ITF and General Choi, but has added some teaching ideas to his curriculum. I never know what ATA was, and thinking back, the ATA School in the town I grew up in was pretty weak, but now that I learn more about it the more I respect it.

Any school can be weak, and for multiple reasons, that does not have to be a reflection of the system they represent. They keep a lot of the forms found in ITF and they, arguably, put more emphasis on the traditional aspects of the art but I do have one rub.

They do the same thing ITF is known for doing. They try to establish themselves as the best way, in TKD, and they seclude their art from the rest of TKD. I know you can argue that point but if the ITF is broken into three organizations, then the ICTF spins off and forms their own thing, ATA has existed for decades and many other forms of Korean arts influence similar aspects of the arts, then why are they not unifying. Of course I might just not know of some organization that exists out there, but from what I can tell they have enough groups to hold open tournaments a scale of grandeur.

If these organizations could unify for a beach side national “open” every two or five years, then they could all compete in local tournaments that would get really competitive. If it all fed into the national open, then they would all be able to unify the whole other side of the art. I think that would be really effective and simple, you just take the head of each institution and put them as the board members. Then they all assume one task and appoint someone from their organization to delegate the function accordingly and then they split the pot evenly and appropriate the funds generated where they feel they are best suited. I could be an amazing joint venture that could replace American Kick Boxing and could help fighters and trainers feed into the MMA system as well.

I am not an expert on this but I do feel ATA could do more, their system seems good and they promote themselves well, I want to make it clear that I respect them. However with the strands of General Choi’s ropes all divided, it’s no wonder the AAU is all up in the TKD scene. We, of like minds, should look past the small discrepancies and move toward a format that is flexible and versatile, as that the traditional style might last..

I think I’m ranting now so I will stop but if we got the AAU out of it and got the state’s boxing commissions into it I believe TKD would grow by leaps and bounds. WTF and the AAU are getting along great, and WTF is spreading TKD in a rapid and tremendous fashion, time is coming where we should to, but in a more Chahng-hun style.

Just my peace.

If you know more,  minding the fact that I summarized what it is, please let me know. I would be interested in know anything about it really.

Links; These were the links that I found that explained what ATA is to me. Very good links to read, intresting history and Master J. Phillip Wargo kinda scares the crap out of me.





1 comment:

Kick above the belt.