Anderson Silva's Masterful Knee Strike


Ok, so before this is just completely old news I think I need to touch this once more. Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen. Anderson Silva won, twice, end of story. I have had this debate now online, at work and with lots of friends. I really surprised me that many people wanted to see him loose. 

I wanted to see him win. Fist objection: that was an illegal knee strike. My foremost thought is that he used an knee strike, TDK has those, teach them. But then I get to my point, if the knee strike was intend for the face, and somehow wound up just being a lucky shot, then the video does not back that up.


If you will notice his left foot come off the mat after he moved in for the shot, he did not spring forward. Had he sprung forward then the end result would have been knee to face, the mere fact that he lifted his left foot with no added momentum tell me that he intended for gravity to take over. He saw his target move lower so he adjusted; he lifted his left foot and let his knee strike fall on the target, in this case the sternum. I think it was masterful.

Second objection: It was rigged and Sonnen threw the fight to set up fight three. Let me start by saying I don’t find Sonnen to be that type of fighter, next I would ask who in their right mind would want to throw a fight by getting the sternum crushed. The amount of damage that could potentially cause is not worth it, you could seriously mess someone up with that. He was fine, seemingly, after the fight but who would willingly submit themselves to that move from Anderson Silva?

The decanters are telling me, “well it’s not like Sonnen to throw the spinning back fist and when he hit the ground he waited for Anderson to do something.” They are finding this move out of character and still think the fight was staged. I say this, he added a new move to his repertoire, and people that are progressive do that all the time. Had he connected with that move it would have knocked the snot out of Silva. Also when he was on the ground I believe the hesitation was due to him either thinking Silva would begin the leg kicks and try to jump to a punch, or he was going to look for the safe chance to spring to his feet. Or he might have thought it was a safe spot to be, since he was kicking the crap out of Silva on the ground. 


As this writer points out the knee strike was not the only good shot Silva landed. 


And as fox sports alluded to, I hope they do not fight again. I don’t want to see it.


One more note: Have you ever been taught in TKD to attack the solar plexus? I bet you have, in sparring it’s common and in the forms it’s prevalent. Go teach the knee strike now, a lot.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I have bookmarked your blog, the articles are way better than other similar blogs.. thanks for a great blog!
    taekwondo

    ReplyDelete

Kick above the belt.