Wolf Eyes


One time I heard a cop say it did not matter who was the better fighter, it mattered who had the best cardio. From his perspective it was all about attrition, whoever could last the longest would win the fight. His method; to hold the assailant until they tired then still having gas in his tank would win the fight, with his opponent burnt out.

On another occasion I heard an assassin, or at least that’s what I took him to be, explain about 100 easy ways to kill a man with little to no effort, yet he spoke as though he smoked a pack a day since he was 12.
Whichever one was right is not at question, obviously they were both right, but what exactly are they right about. I could not possibly guess who would win in a fight, as not only would they never be in a fight, but what they were right about has nothing to do with their approach. Or perhaps it has everything to do with their approach. They both had what has been coined “The Eye of the Tiger” (I prefer the wolf)

Taekwondo teaches this as a tenant, # 5. Courtesy, Integrity, perseverance, self-control and you guessed it, indomitable sprit. The look in the eye that says I know I should be but I’m not, afraid that is. Both of these men possessed an idea, something that made them think they could win any battle. Rather or not that always worked for them, it got them back out there to do their jobs. I think about this more and more as the Olympics near. I remember when I started sparing with top level people, I was scared.

Your opponent can always since that fear, and it will always make you acceptable to loss. Even though it’s the last tenant we stated in our student oath I believe it is the first one you should learn. Some people are borne with it, but others are not so lucky, if you have to fight for it there are many ways to defeat this fear.
I would say it’s an anxiety; however anxiety is based off of irrational fears. Sparing is a little different though, the fear is for a really good reason, for starters you could get kicked in the face. When I was young I was afraid of heights, so I started climbing trees. Once I learned the trick to get high up in the tree I learned that trick was not to look down. Even though I was at a new height I still had not faced the underlining fear, the height itself. So then I started looking down. I would climb really high, lay out across a branch that looked sturdy and just stare down at the ground until the willies would leave me. 

To this day I must admit I get the willies at times when I look down from heights but just because the fear is still their does not mean I have not overcome the fear. It’s not anxiety, I really could fall, the danger still persists I am just now more capable of facing that fear. 

TaeKwonDo sparing is a lot like that. You might have all the moves in the books but if you are afraid of the sparing then you will never be anything more than a good photo opp. You have to face that fear if you want to progress your skills. The only way I got over the fear of sparing good level guys was to get out there and do it. If you are not on the way to the Olympics, or Junior Olympics this year, or perhaps don’t think you could ever have what it takes then this next year look inside yourself and decide if you have examined that fifth tenant.  If you have and you’re not interested that’s understandable, but if you have decided you want to go further then go for it. Spend this next year training to overcome your fear of getting kicked, getting punched and sometimes even getting hurt. Because it’s like what a 4th dan told me once, “It’s not if you get hurt, it’s when.”

Remember spar at your own discretion. 

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kick above the belt.